Tree of Wisdom
From Plants vs. Zombies Guide
Bought in Crazy Dave's shop, The Tree of Wisdom grows 1 feet every time you feed him with Tree Food, and at the same time gives you tips on playing the game. However, after he became taller than 48 feet, he'll stop giving tips and instead gives you special secret codes that must be unlocked by growing the Tree of Wisdom to a certain height.
Tips (First 48 feet)
1. Thank you for feeding me! Keep giving me food and I'll give you valuable information!
2. Chompers and wall-nuts work exceedingly well together. It's no surprise, considering they were roommates in college.
Meaning: Wall-nuts will protect the Chompers chewing from behind, while the Chompers take care of the zombies in the front. Chompers and Wall-nuts make a good combination.
3. If you ever listen to anything I say, listen to this: you want two columns of sunflowers. I'm dead serious here.
Meaning: Two columns of Sunflowers wouldn't kill too much space, and they would provide a very generous amount of sun for usage in the game.
4. Snorkel zombies. I hate 'em. How do I deal? Wall-nuts on lily pads, that's how.
Meaning: Snorkel zombies stay submerged underwater, and they only emerge when they eat. Wall-nuts on Lily Pads will keep them busy while your shooters finish them off.
5. Pssst! Try typing 'future' while playing to experience zombies... from the FUTURE!
Meaning: Typing the code 'future' will make zombies wear futuristic shades.
6. How many cherry bombs does it take to take down a Gargantuar? Here's a hint: more than one, fewer than three. Here's a more explicit hint: Two.
Meaning: Two Cherry Bombs, or any instant killers can take down a Gargantuar. This needs clarifying however. Gargantuars' hit point is equivalent to that of 1.5 instant killers. So, it's not really 2.
7. If you're looking for mushroom plants for your Zen Garden, you'll have better luck playing on levels where it's nighttime.
Meaning: Play Night or Fog stages more and you'll have a better chance of finding mushrooms.
8. I wouldn't worry about permanently damaging your lawn with doom-shrooms. In time the earth heals itself.
Meaning: After a while, the craters created by Doom-shroom explosions will fill up.
9. Have you tried clicking on the flowers on the main menu? Give it a shot! I'll wait here.
Meaning: Clicking on them makes them fall off.
10. Legend has it that frozen zombies eat slower. I'm here to tell that legend has its facts straight.
Meaning: Zombies frozen by Snow Peas, etc. walk and eat slower.
11. Have you heard of the elusive Yeti Zombie? Some say he likes hiding where it's pitch black.
Meaning: The only place where it's pitch black would be level 4-10. Replay Adventure, make it to level 4-10 and you'll discover the Yeti.
12. What's cheaper than free? Nothing! That's why puff-shrooms are essential on all night levels!
Meaning: Puff-shrooms are free, so they are crucial in nighttime levels, where sun is very scarce.
13. Are you hoping to find water plants for your Zen Garden? I bet my phloem you'll have the most luck searching in pool levels.
Meaning: To find pool plants, play more Pool stages.
14. Have you noticed that Gargantuars sometimes use OTHER ZOMBIES to bash your plants? Whatever works, I guess.
Meaning: Besides using telephone poles or road signs, Gargantuars sometimes use normal zombies as their weapon.
15. Stinky the Snail sure loves his chocolate. Maybe loves it a little too much, you know? He won't sit still for an hour after he's had some.
Meaning: Chocolates will keep Stinky active for an hour, collecting money for you.
16. If you think playing survival 'endless' mode only drops pool-style plants for your Zen Garden, think again! It drops everything-style.
Meaning: Survival Endless could drop any plants in 42 plants available for your Zen Garden, not just Pool stage-acquired plants.
17. Often the question is asked: where do you find chocolate? A better question would be: where DON'T you find chocolate? It drops in every game mode!
Meaning: You can find chocolate everywhere in the game.
18. Grave Busters, eh? Pick 'em only when you can see graves on the right side of the screen along with the zombies. That's what I do.
Meaning: Pick Grave Busters only when you're playing Night stages.
19. I've heard that Buckethead zombies take five times as many hits as regular ones.
Meaning: Buckethead zombies can take 50 hits.
20. I hear that typing 'mustache' brings about a terrifying transformation in the undead!
Meaning: Typing the code "mustache" will give the zombies mustaches.
21. Do multiple Snow-peas in a row slow zombies down more than just one? The sad but truthful answer is 'Nay.'
Meaning: Use only ONE Snow Pea in each lane, because their freezing powers don't stack up. Same for Winter Melons.
22. You know that zombies emerge from gravestones, right? So what's stopping you from using grave busters to get rid of them in Survival night? Is it pride?
Meaning: Use Grave Busters in Night stage. They're extremely important.
23. If you're looking for the inside info on how long a level's going to be, count the flags on the level meter. That'll set you up real nice.
Meaning: Look at the bottom right hand side of the screen, count the flags and you'll know how long a level is going to last.
24. Roof cleaners. Classic items. Can't recommend them highly enough. Best thing about them? They give you a shot at beating Pogo Party.
Meaning: If you find beating Pogo Party too hard, sacrifice some Roof Cleaners to buy more time for making sun and setting up your build.
25. If you're wondering if feeding a hypno-shroom to a dancer zombie compels him to summon backup dancers for you, bet it all on 'Yes.'
Meaning: Hypnotizing the lead Dancing Zombies will make them produce hypnotized backup dancers for you. Very useful.
26. Make Money Fast! By Playing Survival Endless! Then E-mail Me Your Bank Account Number!
Meaning: When you reach a very high number of levels in Survival Endless, coins will drop so fast you may not have a chance to pick all of them up. You'll get rich in no time.
27. You'd think Torchwoods would douse Snow Peas. And you'd be correct, because you, my friend, are one smart cookie.
Meaning: NEVER use Snow Peas with Torchwoods, since Torchwoods thaw frozen peas and turn them into normal peas. Even if the Snow Peas are placed in front of the Torchwood, flaming peas from behind the Torchwood will thaw the frozen zombies.
28. Those hateful ZomBotany zombies! Who do they think they are, shooting at your plants? It's a good thing wall-nuts stop 'em cold.
Meaning: Bring Wall-nuts and Tall-nuts in ZomBotany mini games. They will stop those Peashooter zombies from firing at your plants.
29. The Pogo Party and Bobsled Bonanza mini-games are really, really, really difficult. Wanna drop one of the 'reallys' off that description? Use the squash.
Meaning: In both mini games, Squashes are very important as they buy time while you're completing your build. In those mini games, it's recommended that you bring Imitater Squash too.
30. Just when you thought jalapenos couldn't be any more useful, a Tree of Wisdom lets you know that they also destroy the Zomboni's ice trails! BAM!
Meaning: If you want to get rid of the ice trails left behind by Zombonies, use Jalapeno to melt them.
31. Once you buy the imitater, try clicking the little drawing in the upper left corner of your Almanac to access the entry on that sucker.
Meaning: Check the upper left corner of the Almanac and you'll see Imitater. Click on it to see Imitater's almanac entry.
32. The number of coins you receive in Wall-nut Bowling is proportional to how cool you are as measured by how many ricochets per nut you can pull off.
Meaning: In Wall-nut bowling, the more zombies hit by one single Wall-nut, the more coins you receive. See Mini Games guide.
33. Please do not tap on the glass! Or actually, go ahead; right-click on your Aquarium Garden or during Zombiquarium to deafen your underwater creatures.
Meaning: Like in Insaniquarium, right-clicking in Zombiquarium of Aquarium Garden makes you tap the glass.
34. When I was just an acorn my grampa told me, 'Son, Vasebreaker puzzles are much easier if you break the vases on the right side first.'
Meaning: In vasebreaker, break the vases in the right first so that the zombies inside will take a longer time to walk to your lawn and you'll have space for Reverse Repeater.
35. Dancers in I, Zombie may seem expensive, but in the right situation they're worth every penny.
Meaning: If utilized correctly, the expensive Dancing zombies will actually save you a lot of sun, like taking out 3 rows at a time.
36. I had a dream. In it, cattail spikes popped balloons and dropped zombies to the ground. I don't know what it means.
Meaning: In addition to killing zombies on all lanes, Cattails also take down Balloons.
37. Growing aquatic plants in your Zen Garden is pretty much impossible without the Aquarium Garden. Just saying.
Meaning: If you want to grow aquatic plants in Zen Garden, use Aquarium Garden.
38. Digger zombies violate the natural order with their subterranean ways. It's only fair to use magnet-shrooms to steal their mining picks.
Meaning: If Digger zombies have their picks stolen by Magnet-shrooms, they emerge from the ground and walk like a normal zombie. So in levels with Diggers, instead of using backward shooters, you can use Magnet-shrooms.
39. Every day brings new challenges and opportunities. Oh, and new marigolds in Crazy Dave's shop.
Meaning: You can only buy 3 Marigolds for the Zen Garden from Crazy Dave a day. If you want to buy more, wait for the next day or time travel.
40. Mushroom Garden! Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothin'! Except growing mushrooms, that is.
Meaning: If you want to grow mushrooms in Zen Garden, use Mushroom Garden.
41. Tired? Depressed? Ladders on tall-nuts getting you down? A quick magnet-shroom will whisk your cares away!
Meaning: If ladders are stuck on Wall/Tall-nuts, Magnet-shroom will be able to remove them.
42. The tallness of tall-nuts earns widespread acclaim due to their effectiveness vs. Dolphin Riders and Pogo Zombies.
Meaning: Tall-nuts can block jumping zombies like Pogo Zombies and Dolphin Rider Zombies.
43. The explosive force of a cherry bomb or jalapeno is more than capable of dislodging a ladder from a Wall-nut.
Meaning: Instead of using Magnet-shroom, you can also use explosives like Cherry Bombs, Jalapenos, Doom-shrooms to get rid of ladders.
44. It's tempting to feed all your chocolate to Stinky the Snail. He's such a chocolate hog. But remember: Zen Garden plants like chocolate too!
Meaning: Feeding your plants chocolate will make them move faster and produce more coins. The effects of Chocolate on your Zen garden plants are short-lasting, however.
45. Torchwood fire is hotter than rage, but Zombonis, screen doors, ladders and catapults can take the heat.
Meaning: Flaming peas created by Torchwoods have no effect on Zombonis, screen doors, ladders and catapults and only deal normal damage to them.
46. If you rely on upgrade plants in Survival: Endless, be acutely aware that they get more expensive the more you have on your lawn.
Meaning: In Survival Endless, upgrade plants' prices increase 50 sun every time you place them on the lawn.
47. The Imps in I, Zombie seem weak. But they're speedy and great for fetching that last brain when you've cleared the rest of the opposition.
Meaning: In I, zombie, when the lanes are empty, use Imps to get rid of the brains quickly.
48. If you type 'trickedout,' don't be surprised if you see something wacky happen to your lawnmowers.
Meaning: Typing "trickedout" while playing the game for alternative lawnmowers design.
Beyond 48 feet
After 48 feet: Thank you for feeding me! I'm out of new wisdom for now, but I might have more if you grow me tall enough!
100 feet: Hey, I'm 100 feet tall! Celebrate with me by typing 'daisies' to get the zombies to leave tiny daisies behind when they die.
500 feet: Whoa! I'm 500 feet tall! This calls for some dancing! Type 'dance' to get the zombies to boogie on down!
1000 feet: WOW! I'm 1000 feet tall! Celebrate with me by typing 'pinata' to make zombies spit out candy when destroyed!
After 1000 feet: Thank you for feeding me! I've given you all my wisdom, but you can still grow me taller!
Sayings when idle
Mmmm, I could sure use some yummy fertilizer!
I think I've seen that cloud before.
Don't mind me. I'll just be over here, growing.
I'm metabolizing like crazy!
I'll never get why you animals spend all day moving around like you do.
I experience time at a vastly slower rate than you!
I think I'm perennial!
My xylem is tingling!
You can get a lot of wisdom just by standing around.
So I've heard about this "winter" dealie. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.
Mmmm... sunlight is DELICIOUS!
Oops, sorry... I just gave off some oxygen.
Gosh, I can grow leaves!
I feel a spurt coming on!
At this stage I lack worldly knowledge!
I really appreciate all the cash you're spending on fertilizer!
That cloud looks just like a vast aggregation of water droplets!
Have you met my cousin Yggdrasil? Very big in Sweden. Lots of fans.
I'm taking sociology at an online college. I'm really learning a lot.
After careful observation I've deduced that it is the Earth that revolves around the sun and not the reverse as it appears.
When you've been around as long as I have, you sleep less and hallucinate more.
If you're mistaking the forest for the trees, just remember: A forest is a collection of individual trees and not the other way around.
History repeats itself but it always gets the details wrong.
If the past, present and future all simultaneously exist as "block time", surely the experience of "now" can only be an elaborate illusion?
Courage is easy; dedication costs extra.
Here's some wisdom that bears repeating... <Followed by an old tip>
Tree food, please!